Monday, March 14, 2011

Make it work...

I had a conversation with a client recently where I likened certain aspects of my job as a record producer to a designer on the reality tv show Project Runway. If you haven't seen the show, I actually recommend it. Thousands of clothing designers audition to be on the show but only the best 15 or so make it. They are given several challenges to design an outfit with very little money, very little time and often times ridiculous materials. Oh, and they need to wow a panel of judges who are very well known in the fashion world.

At the end of the show, the designers are whittled down to the top three. Those three are given $8000 and about four months to create a collection, which best showcases what they are able to do and say as a fashion designer, and present it during New York City's fashion week. It is an interesting insight into the creative world and whether you are into fashion or not, the show is fascinating.

I have found that it is in both of these realms; the small budget, time crunch, "Make it work" projects and in the larger budget, extended focus, "Make it great" projects that I relate to. For most of the episodes on project runway, each designer is given a direction, 30 minutes to sketch an idea, a small amount of money, and 24 hours to complete their garment. With each runway show I am amazed how some of these designers were able to actually showcase a design that is beautiful, functional and fashionable, given the time constraints. Of course, the entire time they are creating their works, they are undoubtedly thinking to themselves; "This doesn't fairly represent me! I am able to do so much more, given the opportunity." Which is precisely what they are working towards as they avoid elimination, getting through some of these ridiculous challenges.

There are many, many cases where people come into my studio with very small budgets, very little time and in most cases, have never been through the recording process at all. Hence, the similarity to one of the Project Runway challenges. I think to myself; "What can I do to really send something out of here that is impressive, regardless of the limitations." It is then with a ghastly amount of focus and speed that we make our way towards the short-lived end of these challenges. I find that I am usually satisfied, as this musical "garment" gets sent out. At times it has the right kind of beauty, function and fashion, leaving me with a wowed sense of accomplishment and surprise that; "I actually pulled this one off!" More often than not, I still see the unfinished edges, crooked hems, and internal knowledge that, "given the time constraints, I had to use glue instead of thread." I am often left with the thoughts of wishing I had added that final finishing touch...

On the other side of things, there are the people who come to me with a budget that allows me to really showcase what I am able to do. Oddly enough, those budgets and time constraints aren't that far off from those on the tv show as they prepare for fashion week! In those months, I am able to carefully craft a collection of audio that I am confident in and that definitely has my personal stamp on it.

I find that the biggest difference with regards to what I do, is that the general public is not along for the ride for every step of the way. In my world, each project says; "Produced and mixed by Matt Patrick at the Library recording studio," but (albeit appropriate) doesn't mention anywhere, the budget or total time to completion. Therefore, my work is being critiqued by the masses, regardless of the constraints.

So here we have two different approaches to recording projects; five months of working terribly hard, creating on a more thoughtful and masterful level for my clients, with the ability to really showcase my production aesthetic (not unlike the collections shown at Bryant Park during fashion week), sitting on the proverbial shelf right next to the bands that come in last minute, with little-to-no experience, a "Go, go, go!" and "Make it work!" mentality and a mere two days to track and mix a full EP worth of material.

Either way, in either circumstance, I give it my all so that I may send something down the runway that I can be proud of (or at least pleasantly surprised by!).

No comments: