Wednesday, May 20, 2009

continuing with Faith

Faith Udeh won a band competition and one of the prizes was 20 hours of recording at Winterland Studios. I have worked there before. They have a beautiful API Legacy plus console in their control room that still has the drool marks from my last visit. Steve and Justin and I were back at it, this time capturing two more bed tracks on day one. Then day two we finished up Faith's vocals and I added a bunch of sweetener keyboard and omnichord parts. The bass I used for this session was borrowed from my friend Aaron Fabbrini. It is a hallow-body Guild Starfire bass and it sounds huge. For one of the songs I ran it through an auto-wah pedal and it gave it the perfect growl for that tune. One of my favorite things about visiting other studios is see how they do things and learn from it. This time I figured out how to wire up a small speaker from a studio monitor to make it a kick drum microphone that only hears the sub-frequencies. I had an old Yorkville monitor in my garage so I built my own and will be trying it out on a project today. In the top photo to the right (the drummer photo) you will see such a speaker mounted to a mic stand. Below is the speaker/mic I made in my studio.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think winning the tournament would be worth it just to have you produce and Justin and Steve play :)

That's a pretty sweet way to make your own sub kick!!!